Mr. Graves is the Chair of the Workplace Law Practice Group. He focuses his practice in labor and employment law. He represents and counsels private and public employers in industries ranging from raw materials to software development.
Mr. Graves's expertise includes handling complex traditional labor issues, including union organizing, labor contract negotiations, grievance administration, restructuring/relocation of unionized businesses and handling unfair labor practice charges, under both the NLRA and RLA. On a daily basis, Mr. Graves handles a broad spectrum of employment matters such as pre-hire screening, discrimination, harassment, wage-hour, policy administration, substance abuse, FMLA, discipline, whistleblower, retaliation, discharge, and plant closings/reductions in force. Mr. Graves is also experienced in the professional staff privileging and peer review issues unique to the health care industry.
Licensed to practice in both Illinois and Michigan, Mr. Graves represents employers in courts and before various state and federal agencies, including the EEOC, IDHR, MDCR, MERC, and NLRB. Mr. Graves frequently presents seminars and provides training on labor and employment issues for industry groups, human resources associations, and individual employers. He is listed as a 2020 “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness Magazine.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Graves practiced at a local law firm specializing in labor and employment matters. In law school, he served as articles editor of the Northwestern Journal of International Law & Business. He was also a recipient of the James B. Angell Scholar Award at the University of Michigan.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2018 and 2020, Labor and Employment Law
- Presenter, "Employent Law for Managers," Michigan Chamber of Commerce seminar, Lansing, Michigan, November 12, 2019 and Southfield, Michigan, December 11, 2019
- Presenter, Michigan Association of Non-Public Schools (MANS) Law Day, Lansing, Michigan, June 27, 2019
- Presenter, Labor Law section of Michigan Infrastructure & Transportation Association (MITA) "Future Leaders" program, Okemos, Michigan, June 11, 2019
- Presenter, "Employment Law for Managers," Michigan Chamber of Commerce seminar, Novi, Michigan, April 16, 2019.
- Presenter, "Existing Laws Affecting HR Professionals," Northeast Michigan HR Association seminar, Alpena, Michigan, February 27, 2019.
- Presenter, "Employment Law for Managers" and "Properly Documenting Employee Discipline," Michigan Chamber of Commerce seminar, Lansing, Michigan, November 8, 2018.
- Presenter, "Managing Discipline and Employee Complaints: #Me Too and Other Workplace Issues," MISHRM Employment Law Summit, Traverse City, Michigan, October 17, 2018.
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 10/01/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | PWDCRA Assessment of Essential Functions and Reasonable Accommodations Given Physical Examination Requirement
- 09/25/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | DOL Unveils Significant Revisions to Federal Overtime Laws, Increasing Salary Threshold to $35,568
- 05/02/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | DOL Provides New Insight on Employee vs. Independent Contractor Classification, Just As Michigan AG Launches Payroll Fraud Enforcement Unit
- 01/18/2018WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | DOL Issues New Guidance On Test For Unpaid Internships
- Northwestern University Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- State Bar of Michigan