Mr. Stafford concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of municipal law and finance and taxation.
Mr. Stafford specializes in the tax aspects of tax-exempt financing, including arbitrage limitations and rebate matters. He also advises corporations and non-profit organizations on compliance with federal tax laws.
In the area of municipal law, Mr. Stafford has extensive experience in public/private development projects and has provided legal advice in numerous large economic development projects in Southeastern Michigan. Those projects include the Comerica Park and Ford Field stadium developments and, most recently, the I-94 Industrial Park Project. The I-94 Industrial Park Project involved the condemnation and acquisition of 1,100 privately-owned parcels of land to be assembled into an industrial park.
He is listed as a 2014 "Top Lawyer" by DBusiness magazine. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2010, 2012-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- New York University Law School, Taxation, LL.M.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D.
- Michigan State University, with honors, B.S.
- American Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- State Bar of Michigan
- Wolverine Bar Association