Mr. Walsh is the Chair of Bodman's Appellate Law Practice Group and has broad litigation experience at both the trial and appellate levels. Representing both plaintiffs and defendants, Mr. Walsh has obtained successful jury verdicts in numerous cases. He has argued more than 100 appeals in both state and federal appellate courts.
Among the appeals Mr. Walsh has argued successfully are Shepherd Montessori Center Milan v. Ann Arbor Charter Twp., 486 Mich. 311 (2010), McCart v. J. Walter Thompson USA, Inc., 437 Mich. 109 (1991), Calhoun Cty. v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, 297 Mich. App 1 (2012), and Harris v. Auto Club Ins. Ass’n, 494 Mich. 462 (2013).
Mr. Walsh served as lead litigation attorney for the Michigan Insurance Commissioner in the rehabilitation of the United States branch of Confederation Life Insurance Company (CLIC), a Canadian insurer. The rehabilitation of the U.S. branch of Confederation Life, which had liabilities of $6 billion, was the largest insolvency proceeding and most successful of any foreign insurer ever handled by a United States court. Despite an initial deficiency of over $1 billion, all policy holders of Confederation Life were paid in full. In addition to representing the Commissioner in the rehabilitation plan confirmation hearing, pursuing claims on behalf of CLIC’s U.S. branch and defending claims against the estate, Mr. Walsh obtained an injunction prohibiting policyholder suits against CLIC’s auditors, officers and others, to preserve those claims for the estate. Mr. Walsh also argued the appeal that upheld the injunction, Comm'r of Ins. v. Albino, 225 Mich. App. 547; 572 N.W.2d 21 (1997).
In addition to his work on Confederation Life, Mr. Walsh has more than 35 years of experience with complex litigation. He has represented Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan, Comerica Bank, and other major financial institutions in class action cases.
Mr. Walsh has represented the largest outdoor advertising companies within the State of Michigan for many years and also serves as general counsel to the Michigan Outdoor Advertising Association.
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018 under Commercial Litigation and Appellate Practice. He is named in Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in American Law and Who’s Who in Finance & Industry. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Walsh was a law clerk for two judges on the Michigan Court of Appeals.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2018, Commercial Litigation and Appellate Practice
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers," 2013-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Outdoor Advertising Association of America, Member
- Outdoor Advertising Association of Michigan, Member
- Washtenaw County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Michigan
- Appellate Practice Section, Member
- Public Corporation Law Section, Member
- Obtained the reversal of an order revoking the probation of a criminal defendant who invoked the wrath of God on the judge who presided over the defendant’s trial.
- When the State of Michigan withheld funding for the Ann Arbor Film Festival because legislators found some films offensive, Mr. Walsh led the successful effort to reinstate funding.
- Mr. Walsh recently filed an amicus brief with the Michigan Supreme Court in support of a mother with intellectual disabilities who is contesting the termination of her parental rights.
Mr. Walsh's matters include:
- Harris v. Auto Club Ins. Ass’n, 494 Mich. 462; 835 N.W.2d 356 (2013).
- Calhoun Cty. v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, 297 Mich. App 1; 824 N.W.2d 202 (2012).
- CBS Outdoor, Inc. v. City of Royal Oak, No. 11-13887, 2012 WL 3759306 (E.D. Mich. Aug. 29, 2012).
- Lamar Advert. of Michigan, Inc. v. City of Utica, 819 F. Supp. 2d 657 (E.D. Mich. 2011).
- CBS Outdoor, Inc. v. City of Kentwood, No. 09-1016, 2010 WL 3942842 (W.D. Mich. Oct. 6, 2010).
- Shepherd Montessori Center Milan v. Ann Arbor Charter Twp., 486 Mich. 311; 783 N.W.2d 695 (2010).
- Int'l Outdoor, Inc. v. City of Romulus, No. 07-15125, 2008 WL 4792645 (E.D. Mich. Oct. 29, 2008).
- Lamar Advert. Co. v. Van Buren Twp., 178 F. App'x 498 (6th Cir. 2006).
- Tinman v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, 264 Mich. App. 546; 692 N.W.2d 58 (2004).
- Inge v. Rock Financial Corp., 388 F.3d 930 (6th Cir. 2004).
- Lamar Advert. Co. v. Twp. of Elmira, 328 F. Supp. 2d 725 (E.D. Mich. 2004).
- Outdoor Sys., Inc. v. City of Clawson, 262 Mich. App. 716; 686 N.W.2d 815 (2004) and 273 Mich. App. 204; 729 N.W.2d 893 (2006).
- Newton v. Bank West, 262 Mich. App. 434; 686 N.W.2d 491 (2004).
- Lamar Advert. Co. v. Charter Twp. of Clinton, 241 F. Supp. 2d 793 (E.D. Mich. 2003).
- Outdoor Sys. Advert., Inc. v. Korth, 238 Mich. App. 664; 607 N.W.2d 729 (1999).
- Comm'r of Ins. v. Albino, 225 Mich. App. 547; 572 N.W.2d 21 (1997).
- Comm'r of Ins. v. Arcilio, 221 Mich. App. 54; 561 N.W.2d 412 (1997).
- Macdonald Advert. Co. v. City of Pontiac, 916 F. Supp. 644 (E.D. Mich. 1995).
- City of Norton Shores v. Whiteco Metrocom (In re: Acquisition of Billboard Leases & Easements), 205 Mich. App. 659; 517 N.W.2d 872 (1994).
- McCart v. J. Walter Thompson USA, Inc., 437 Mich. 109; 469 N.W.2d 284 (1991).
- Welch v. J. Walter Thompson U.S.A., Inc., 187 Mich. App. 49; 466 N.W.2d 319 (1991).
- Squire v. General Motors Corp., 174 Mich. App. 780; 436 N.W.2d 739 (1989).
- Chicago Blower Corp. v. Air Systems Associates, Inc., 623 F. Supp. 798 (E.D. Mich. 1985).
- Energy Jet Inc. v. Forex, 589 F. Supp. 1110 (E.D. Mich. 1984).
- 08/15/201746 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America List
- 08/16/201642 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers in America List
- 09/03/201446 Bodman Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2015
- 12/27/201363 Bodman Attorneys Named 'Top Lawyers 2014' by D Business Magazine
- 08/31/201245 Bodman Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2013
- Louisiana State University Law School, J.D.
- Louisiana State University, B.A.
- Outdoor Advertising Association of America
- Outdoor Advertising Association of Michigan
- Washtenaw County Bar Association