Mr. LaBelle is a member of Bodman’s Workplace Law Practice Group. He counsels public and private sector employers on employment matters and advises management on contract negotiations and other labor issues.
Mr. LaBelle represents employers in litigation filed in both state and federal courts, as well as matters filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Mr. LaBelle also drafts and reviews workplace rules, employee handbooks, personnel policies, and other employment and labor agreements.
As an undergraduate and in law school, Mr. LaBelle earned multiple academic accolades including frequent inclusion on the Dean’s List and the MSU College of Law Jurisprudence Award in Labor Law and Arbitration. To receive this award, a student must earn the highest grade in the course and receive a special recommendation from the course’s professor. While in law school, Mr. LaBelle also earned a certification as a civil mediator.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. LaBelle practiced with a large law firm and focused his practice on appellate advocacy and complex substantive motion practice in multiple areas of law. He has successfully obtained summary judgment for companies in multiple cases. He has prepared appellate briefs in the Michigan Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Before becoming an attorney, Mr. LaBelle had a successful career in business management and development.
Mr. LaBelle is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, Labor and Employment Law Section, the American Bar Association, and the University of Michigan Alumni Association Mentor Program. He has authored many articles for Bodman’s employment newsletter.
- 08/10/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | Massachusetts Medical Marijuana User's Disability Discrimination Claim Reinstated
- 07/27/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | DOL Seeks Public Input On Rules Governing FLSA Exemptions
- 07/13/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | DOL Posits Texas Court Erred in Ruling DOL Lacked Authority to Set Minimum Salary for Exempt Employees
- 06/29/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | Opinion Letters Are Back
- 06/29/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | Dealing With "Me" In The Workplace
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., with honors
- University of Michigan, B.A., with honors
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan