Joseph R. (Joe) Morrison, Jr., represents early and high-growth companies in an outside general counsel capacity. He focuses on technology-enabled emerging companies and the venture capital firms that invest in them. His business and technology background gives him the ability to deftly advise ambitious entrepreneurs facing legal and business challenges.
Joe has experience in a wide range of legal matters, including company formation, financing, general operational concerns related to contracting, intellectual property matters, and employment issues. He represents a number of companies that have licensed technology from University Tech Transfer offices, raised equity or debt financing from venture capital firms, or grown organically to tens of millions in annual revenues.
Before joining Bodman, Joe worked for Accenture as an information technology consultant in Washington, D.C. He also served as corporate counsel and consulting manager for a Michigan-based IT consultancy, where he helped scale the company to 50+ employees and $3 million in revenue.
Joe is active in both the Ann Arbor and Detroit startup scenes and regularly attends the A2NewTech meetup. He frequently presents to student and local startup groups on legal issues facing young, high growth companies and he is a mentor in the UM Ross School of Business venture capital practicum.
Joe serves on the board of directors of New Enterprise Forum in Ann Arbor. He is a member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) Business Law Advisory Board and New Lawyers Advisory Board, and he is active in the University of Michigan Law School’s Alumni-Student Mentoring Program. He is listed in Michigan Rising Stars 2017 under Business/Corporate.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Rising Stars 2016-2017, Business/Corporate
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Business Law Advisory Board
- New Lawyers Advisory Board
- University of Michigan Law School's Alumni-Student Mentoring Program
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section
- 09/06/201750 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2017
- 07/26/2017Bodman PLC and Susan M. Kornfield Recognized for Trademark Law Excellence by Managing Intellectual Property
- 04/10/2017Joseph R. Morrison, Jr. Appointed to New Enterprise Forum Board
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 03/15/2016Joseph R. Morrison, Jr. Joins Bodman
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Richmond — Robins School of Business, B.S.B.A.
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- State Bar of Michigan
- University of Michigan Law School - Alumni-Student Mentoring Program