Mr. Morrison focuses on representing startup companies and the venture capital firms that invest in them.
He has experience in a wide range of matters from formation to financing to general operational concerns related to insurance and employment issues. He also represents clients in intellectual property matters including trademark registration, maintenance and renewal; enforcement and defense of trademark rights; copyright registration and enforcement; and domain name disputes.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Morrison served as corporate counsel and consulting manager to an IT startup based in Ann Arbor, where he helped scale the company to 50+ employees and $3 million in revenue. Joe is active in both the Ann Arbor and Detroit startup scenes and regularly attends the A2NewTech meetup. He was also an associate attorney with a large Detroit-based law firm.
While in law school, Mr. Morrison worked on the Michigan Business & Entrepreneurial Law Review (formerly the Michigan Journal of Private Equity and Venture Capital Law), a student-run journal that focuses on legal issues related to private equity and venture capital. He volunteered at the Entrepreneurship Clinic, a part of the University of Michigan Law School’s Zell Entrepreneurship and Law (ZEAL) Program, which provides no-cost legal services to student-led startups. He received the Excellence in Pro Bono Service Award for his pro bono work throughout his law school career.
Mr. Morrison serves on the board of directors of New Enterprise Forum in Ann Arbor. He is a member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) Business Law Advisory Board and New Lawyers Advisory Board, and he is active in the University of Michigan Law School’s Alumni-Student Mentoring Program.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- "Rising Star," Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Business Law Advisory Board
- New Lawyers Advisory Board
- University of Michigan Law School's Alumni-Student Mentoring Program
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section
- 07/26/2017Bodman PLC and Susan M. Kornfield Recognized for Trademark Law Excellence by Managing Intellectual Property
- 04/10/2017Joseph R. Morrison, Jr. Appointed to New Enterprise Forum Board
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 03/15/2016Joseph R. Morrison, Jr. Joins Bodman
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Richmond — Robins School of Business, B.S.B.A.
- Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- State Bar of Michigan
- University of Michigan Law School - Alumni-Student Mentoring Program