Legal Secretary (Entry-Level) – Detroit Office
Bodman PLC is one of Michigan’s leading business law firms with more than 150 lawyers and five offices. Bodman has a diverse base that includes individuals and businesses in a variety of industries with emphasis on financial services, automotive, real estate and construction, high tech, manufacturing, health care, and other services.
Bodman PLC was named by Corp! Magazine a “Diversity-Focused Company” and we are looking for an entry-level Legal Secretary to join our team. We are seeking talented individuals who are committed to excellence and thrive in an environment of collaboration.
Job Purpose: Transcribe and type correspondence, memoranda and time records as well as perform a variety of secretarial duties for attorneys to whom you are assigned according to established policies and procedures. Maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observes confidentiality of client matters.
Working with us, you will:
- Transcribe and prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents form written and oral drafts; prepare and file legal pleadings; handle projects that may be complex in nature; and maintain records and filing system.
- Work closely with administrative support staff (word processing, reprographics, receptionists, etc.); proof documents returned form word processing; and ensure that attorney time sheet are submitted timely.
- Process bills; proof billing sheets; and review and edit bills.
- Maintain and docket court dates and prepare and file legal pleadings.
- Set up and maintain client and firm files; manage daily mail; request conflict of interest checks; and maintain respective attorney calendars and deadline reminder systems.
- Receive clients and visitors; maintain good public relations with clients; and observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Work with junior and senior level attorneys.
An ideal candidate:
- Entry level – Some prior work as a legal secretary, administrative assistant, legal secretary internship or someone that has worked in a legal department or law firm preferred, but not required.
- Has a minimum of a high school diploma.
- Ability to support senior level management who works in the banking/bankruptcy practice.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports form rough draft or dictation at a level of a minimum of 60 wpm. Experience in a document management system and time entry system a plus.
- Excellent proofreading abilities for law office correspondence and legal case matters, and the ability to perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Detailed oriented, ambitious and smart, and can anticipate what work is coming or needs to be completed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – one who can communicate effectively in a courteous and diplomatic fashion as you will service a partner with a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel programs.
For immediate consideration, forward your resume and salary requirements to:
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, handicap, or veteran status.